Sunday, January 27, 2013

January update

I don't have many new photos of the kids, but I have some that you haven't seen yet so let's go back in time to Christmas for a few good shots I haven't posted yet.

Here are the kids opening their big wheels.  Anyone approximately my age probably remembers these (and if you were lucky you had one.)  Mine was the Powder Puff and was baby blue and pink and white.  My brother had the full-blown big wheel in boy-blue and black.  We loved them.  Now my kids can love them as well - I don't even think they changed the cast, the big wheels look the same now as they did 30 years ago.  Now, Will declared that it was for babies and Tom could have two and Will would have none.  It was quite funny!  Since then I understand they've assembled the big wheels and I suspect Will has changed his tune, but it's been pretty cold out so we'll get to see once Spring rolls around.  I'm sure I'll post some pictures when the time comes!


We all got light sabres for Christmas.  Two blues, one green, and one red.  I posted this picture because I had no idea my dad knew how to turn on a light sabre.  Just goes to show you people change and they can always surprise you!


I LOVE this picture.  My mom made Will a new apron, and he put it on with a look of wonder, and said "Thank you Grandma!" and gave her a big hug.  I think it was the best gift for both of them.


Ok, moving on from Christmas.  Did you know there's a roller rink in Oshawa?  It's just like the old days - skating around to music, concession stand open, general merriment.  Since my derby team and I are all missing our skates, we bundled up the kids and went to Oshawa for the afternoon to skate.  Here's my friend Kathryn helping Tom get the hang of it.  At the end of three hours Tom went from not having a clue how to skate to whipping around the track alone like a pro!


And here's Will, looking a little nervous.  Will spent the first hour with his skates off, saying he would never ever do it again (he fell at the start and that ended the whole thing.)  But we gave him some time and space, and he chose to strap the skates on again and then he did much better!  Will needs to do things on his own terms - I'm glad we recognized that and it all worked out for the best.


And here are a few that don't have the kids in them - we went to Vegas without the kids and had a GREAT time.  We were only gone for 4 days, but it was just the perfect amount of time and just what we needed.

Here's a sign from the Hoover Dam.  It is, in my mind, some of the best art we saw in Vegas.  The brass letters (and an awesome art-deco font!) in the curved terrazzo... people don't appreciate the art that is terrazzo.  They just walk all over it and hardly notice it.  I have entirely too many pictures of the terrazzo at the Hoover Dam, but I won't bore you with them all.


One of two statues at the Hoover Dam, celebrating the dam's completion.  Pretty cool.


Us on the bypass bridge with the Hoover Dam in the background.  Wearing t-shirts in January!  Awesome.


I have two favourite types of candy: Cadbury mini eggs, and M&Ms peanuts.  Well, imagine my delight to find 4 stories of M&Ms store in Vegas (just down from Paris, across from New York.)  Every kind and colour of M&Ms you could imagine!  You can mix your own colour packs, you can even personalize them with a message on every M&M.  It was dreamy.





No comments: