Literally! We just got back from Newfoundland and it was absolutely wonderful. We have 602 photos from 10 days so I need to go through them all - for now I thought I'd put up a few shots to quench your desire to keep up with the lives of my darling children.
I really wanted to see an iceberg (before global warming takes them away!) but I knew it wasn't iceberg season. That didn't stop Jim, the owner of the cottage that we stayed in - he produced his stash of iceberg ice from his freezer (I think most of the locals do this) and gave us some! Here is a beautiful piece of iceberg floating in my whiskey. Yes, it DID taste better than regular ice, and I am convinced it made my drink colder. Don't try to tell me differently.
We didn't have an exact plan for this vacation, so I was happy that we made time to go to the Arches - some rocks that have eroded from beneath, leaving rock arches. Of course, this picture doesn't show them, but it's a great picture of Straub and the kids!
It's so fascinating to watch your kids discover things. Here is Will, checking out some shells that he found. He was finding some shells that were empty, and others that were inhabited - he learned to check them before deciding which ones to keep!
And here are my daredevils on a rocky ledge over the ocean. I have to repress my desire to tell Tom to always get back from the edge - if I never let him do anything, how will he ever experience things? Of course that has to be tempered with safety... a mother's conundrum, I'm sure you understand. Happy medium: if Dad is there, it's probably ok.
Our time on Fogo Island was the best. I have many photos to add, but thought I'd give you this one: a caribou that visited twice a day with the rest of her herd (about 12 in total.) We would go for walks accompanied by caribou, go to the beach to collect shells and see them, and just generally find them everywhere near where we were staying.
Both kids are convinced that we need a minivan. While it was convenient to taxi all 6 of us around on vacation, I do not see the need. Tom has decided that he'll have one when he grows up (when he's going to live in the house next door to me because he knows he has to move out, but he's not planning on moving far.)
Tom in action! He is both jumping down from a large rock and throwing rocks into the ocean all in one movement. This kid has energy.
One of the many stages we found in Joe Batt's Arm (and all over Fogo Island.) It kills me that their fish sheds are typically nicer than my house. I am inspired to paint trim.
And finally, here are the kids in the ocean. It was COLD. They are tougher than I thought. There was a beach called Sandy Cove on Fogo and we went there three days in a row - I could have gone back every day of my life. It was amazing and windy and fun and cold and fantastic. Seems the kids liked it, too.


No comments:
Post a Comment