Monday, January 13, 2014

Let's go back to July.

While I've been greatly enjoying the winter weather, when it rains and freezes and rains some more I can't help but think of July.  This was our trip to Toronto in July - we took the train from Kingston to T.O., and went everywhere on public transit.  The kids seem to always enjoy these vacations the most, and to be honest, I think I do, too!  I'd never trade our Newfoundland vacation, but this one was wonderful in so many different ways.

The first two pictures are as soon as we surfaced from underground.  The kids had been cooped up on the train and were almost vibrating with excitement - we had to get them outside before they exploded.  I'm honestly standing with the camera and 4 wheeled suitcases - we haven't even checked into the hotel yet.


This also coincided with the short-lived mohawks the kids had this summer.


We were in Toronto - we HAD to go to the CN Tower.




We also went to Centre Island.  I don't know if I've been to this amusement park before, but I LOVED it.  For kids our kids' ages it was the best place in the world - all the rides are accessible to them, and Tom was tall enough to be the "responsible party" for some rides.  We took them on some with us, but eventually let them go it alone.  They only got yelled at over the loudspeakers once...

This is Will's frustrated face.  Anyone who spends any amount of time with Will recognizes this face - it happens often.


This is the log ride.  Worth every ticket.


Hey look! Will's frustrated face again!  He's nothing if not entertaining.


This is pretty much my favourite picture of all time.  The excitement, the independence, the brotherly togetherness - it is a memory I'll have forever.  Look at them both holding on!  They loved it.


Ah, the swans.  My kids decided it should be bumper swans.  The people who run the ride don't think that's how it goes.  "Number 4.  Number 4! SIT DOWN! [that was to Will, specifically.] Number 4. Please return to the dock. NUMBER 4!!!" Of course, my kids didn't know THEY were number 4.  Had they called "Tom and Will!" perhaps they would have received a more favourable response.


This one was exciting.  The big show.  It was a true roller coaster.  It was small, but again, Tom was tall enough that we didn't have to go on with them, so they went alone.  They were nervous, but came off with huge smiles, begging to go again.


We left the amusement park but took a walk around some of the rest of the island - the kids took the opportunity to wade in the water.


And then we took the ferry back to the city.  Doesn't Tom look contemplative here? Hopefully thinking about how awesome his parents are.  Likely thinking about cupcakes.


Will was also pensive on the ferry ride back.  The kids both slept really well that week.  No motorized transportation (besides public transport when we decided it was warranted, but mostly just walking for blocks and blocks and blocks) will tire kids out pretty well.  Even now they ask when we can do it again.  Vacation success.


No comments: